Wednesday, April 5, 2017

"If you are not reading the Book of Mormon each day, please do so"

Once again, I feel like this week was kind of a blur. General Conference was absolutely the highlight, and truly better than Christmas! We watched most of it at a member's home- the Williamson's. We went to the church for the Sunday morning session to help our recent convert spanish family get situated to watch it in the young men's room in Spanish. Thank goodness for technology, and ward members that know how to use it! 

I think the biggest impact conference honestly had on me was realizing that next time conference comes around, I'll be home! I'll have to be dealing with my own trials and challenges, instead of everyone elses. It was stressing me out a little, yet the talks brought me so much peace about the future, and so many insights on what I can do better NOW, while I'm still experiencing this incredible mission! I'm pretty sure Elder Costa is every missionary's best friend now... his talk was perfect! :) I also loved how simple and powerful President Monson's talk was. "We live in a time of great trouble and wickedness. What will protect us from the sin and evil so prevalent in the world today? I maintain that a strong testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and of His gospel will help see us through to safety. If you are not reading the Book of Mormon each day, please do so. If you will read it prayerfully and with a sincere desire to know the truth, the Holy Ghost will manifest its truth to you. If it is true—and I solemnly testify that it is—then Joseph Smith was a prophet who saw God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Because the Book of Mormon is true, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s Church on the earth, and the holy priesthood of God has been restored for the benefit and blessing of His children. If you do not have a firm testimony of these things, do that which is necessary to obtain one. It is essential for you to have your own testimony in these difficult times, for the testimonies of others will carry you only so far. However, once obtained, a testimony needs to be kept vital and alive through continued obedience to the commandments of God and through daily prayer and scripture study." I am so grateful I get to defend him every day as a true and living day prophet!

Friday we had a fun miracle happen. We had set up an appointment with someone in the morning, and she wasn't home when we stopped by. :( Luckily, we had talked to someone else in that area that had told us we could come back, so we tried her! It was one of those awkward moments when her son was outside playing, and she called him to come inside as we walked by to see her neighbor first, so we weren't sure if she was trying to avoid us... but we knocked on the door anyways! The little boy answered the door, and we heard the mom's voice in the background saying "We're busy". I just kept talking to the little boy, and then poked my head around the corned to make eye contact with the mom and ask her when we could come back. She was on the floor trying to fix her vacuum, and she said "How long does it take? And can you talk to me while I fix this?" Of course we can, and we can make it quick! We were able to talk to her about the Restoration, and though it was a little crazy with the boy running around and her fixing the vacuum, at the end she said she felt really good about what we shared and would love us to come back! 

Everything else this week was pretty average. Lots of finding people to talk to, lots of trying to contact less active members. Even though I've been out for a year, I still wake up every morning less than enthusiastic, and I still go to bed every night amazed by the miracles we see every day and wishing my mission would never end. God truly is in this work. Sometime's it's as simple as knocking on a neighbor's door when things fall through. Sometimes it's the conversation you have with a companion as you are walking down the street and no one wants to talk to you. There are things you learn every day here, whether your plans work out or not. 

Keep on keeping on my friends. I love you all, and thank you so much for your prayers and support! Whenever I get down, I think of how you are all cheering me on, and it helps me work a little harder, be a little bolder, and love a lot more! 

Sister Maughan

No comments:

Post a Comment