Monday, June 6, 2016

HELLO !!!!

My new companion! Her name is Sister Henderson, she's from Provo and she is AWESOME! She used to work at Jamba Juice, and her favorite color is gray- those two details alone would've made us pretty good friends. :) (***For those of you who don't know ---Abby worked at Jamba Juice before her mission, and her favorite color is also gray !!!)  ---She's an awesome missionary and has been SO patient with me as I'm trying to figure out what we need to be doing- since she literally doesn't know any of the people in this area. We've had lots of fun experiences so far and I know it's going to be a great transfer!


Sister Maughan, Amanda (a recent convert), 
and Sister Henderson  (Abby's new companion!!) 

Week 1 of the new transfer and changes and I honestly just feel like it's been one of the best weeks ever! I've had lots of adventures :)

Transfer day- last Wednesday. Met my nuevo companion, Sister Henderson- she is hilarious and I love her! She's been in an area called Bowling Green for the first 6 months of her mission, so this is her second area. We went out to eat at Panera with all the sisters (probably like 9 of us, one of the sisters were in a trio for a few hours). Except I am now the designated driver. Which is a problem, cause I haven't driven in 3 almost 4 months. And I have no idea where Panera was. So we kind of got lost and drove all the way to Lake Erie and back before we found it! Haha the lake really isn't that far away, but it was still far enough away from Panera that we wasted a few miles.

And that's only where the driving adventure begins! I plug in our home address to Dad's GPS and it's all fine and dandy. Except either it was taking us on a totally different route or we'd just keep missing our turns, because we somehow ended up in DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND! Yep :) Luckily, Sister Henderson had a GPS in her suitcase, so we stopped at this sketchy gas station in Cleveland, she ran and grabbed her GPS out of the trunk and we were back on our way home. We drove across this really weird bridge that had like Egyptian carvings in it! Cleveland is really weird...

So that was an adventure for sure! :)

The rest of the day we just did a lot of stop bys and introduced her to people, drove around a lot. The weirdest thing was just me having to make all the decisions- because she literally has no idea who anyone is or where we are! I was really stressed out about it a lot, and I've made a TON of mistakes- but Sister Henderson is so good at just laughing stuff off and moving forward. I love it! Long story short, we ended up going 100 miles that day... not good. :)

So the next random thing I have to tell you happened Saturday. We were helping this lady clean out her garage, and I pick up this big black container and open it. As I'm opening she says "Oh, that's my husband." I close the lid really fast! Sister Henderson and I both raise our eyebrows at each other like "WHAT IN THE WORLD?". So a few minutes later Sister Henderson opens it again, and we realize there's an urn inside this container that has this lady's husband's ashes in it! Just hanging out in her garage. Haha her husband was really mean to her, so she doesn't want his ashes in the house- so she "keeps him in the garage cause that's where he belongs." Oh goodness!

Then Saturday we went to a Bible Study some of our investigators were in charge of and talked about prayer, and we did a "prayer circle". So each person was assigned something to pray for, and we all just said a prayer right after the other. Oh I love the people of Ohio! It was a really good Bible Study though! 


We also saw the Backer Family Saturday night! It was fun to introduce Sister Henderson to them, and we were able to teach them about faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end (AKA the Gospel of Jesus Christ.) We also talked about setting a baptismal date for the whole family with them, so that will be exciting! They are awesome!

Yesterday was FINALLY Sunday (for some reason time slows WAY down at the first of transfers like this. Every day felt like a week, and Sister Henderson and I kept thinking it was Saturday... until it finally was Saturday.) I LOVE fast Sundays out here on the mission, because you get to hear the testimonies of so many ward members, and a lot of them are converts to the church. All week, we missionaries basically feel like we're the only ones that believe the things we do sometimes, because most of the people we talk to don't. So fast Sundays are just a good reminder that this gospel really DOES work, and missionary work really works, and usually it just gives me the motivation I need to keep doing my best!

And the past few days, I've really learned that. That it's okay to make mistakes. I literally am doing the best I know how, and that's no where NEAR perfect- because I've never done this before! So I get to learn as I go, and through all the change I'm coming even closer to my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I really can't explain why I'm happy, because there were a lot of things that didn't go smoothly this week. But all of them are just swallowed up in the fact that I know Heavenly Father loves all of His children. (1 Nephi 11:17)

Love you all, thank you so much for your prayer in my behalf this week- they've been answered and are continuing to be. Know you are all in my thoughts and prayers as well!

Love, Sister Maughan



Sister Gibbs and Sister Maughan on one of their 
last days together enjoying some ice cream at Honey Hut !!


Abby sent this picture this week she wrote - 
"Honey Hut is this DELICIOUS ice cream place! 
I want to live there and eat ice cream all day!" 


This is kind of a random picture, but kind of cool.
It is the road, all made of bricks that is in front of Honey Hut. 






No comments:

Post a Comment